The National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) honored more than a dozen Cayuga Community College student-athletes this week for their prestigious work in the classroom during the 2018-2019 academic year.
A total of 13 Cayuga student-athletes were named NJCAA Academic All-Region III, which lauds students for their academic success completing a rigorous course load while still competing on the field or court.
To qualify for NJCAA Academic All-Region status, students must complete at least 24 semester hours with a minimum grade-point average of 3.5.
"This recognition of our student-athletes by the NJCAA is a tremendous honor, one that appreciates the time and effort students dedicate to succeed academically while competing athletically," said Cayuga President Dr. Brian Durant. "We are proud of how hard our student-athletes work, and are happy they received the recognition they deserve."
"Being named NJCAA Academic All-Region is an amazing accomplishment. I'm always impressed when I see how hard our student-athletes work to compete athletically, but knowing that they're working just as hard to succeed in the classroom is fantastic," said Athletic Director Pete Liddell. "Congratulations to these 13 student-athletes for their hard work and success."
Included below are the Cayuga student-athletes named Academic All-Region, the high schools where they graduated and the sports they played at Cayuga:
- Brittney Alton, G. Ray Bodley High School, Women's Soccer;
- Loren Clifford, East Syracuse Minoa Central High School, Women's Basketball;
- Allyson Dennis, Cato-Meridian High School, Women's Volleyball;
- Pedro Fanhani, Colegio Platao High School, Men's Soccer;
- Andrew Giannettino, Auburn High School, Men's Cross Country;
- Erica Helzer, Dana West Junior-Senior High School, Women's Basketball;
- Michael Lynch, Auburn High School, Men's Cross Country;
- Michaela Millhoff, Cato-Meridian High School, Women's Soccer;
- McKayla Murray, Weedsport Junior-Senior High School, Women's Cross Country and Women's Softball;
- Alexa Smalley, Auburn High School, Women's Soccer;
- Megan Swartwood, Auburn High School, Women's Cross Country;
- Maeghan Westmiller, Dana West Junior-Senior High School, Women's Soccer;
- Michaela Withers, Moravia High School, Women's Soccer and Women's Softball.
For more information on Cayuga's athletic programs, visit www.cayugaspartans.com/landing/index.